4/28/2005

Dealing with death

I got notice that a co-worker's mom passed away this week. He is not a close friend at the office, but I do have a fair amount of interaction with him and he's a really nice guy. She had been sick, apparently, but no from something that was considered terminal; she just went downhill quickly. She was only 59. I am on the email list for the management level staff, so I got a copy of the funeral details. The family has requested donations to charity in lieu of flowers, and also asked that anyone attending the service be casual ["...(i.e. no funeral suits) as this is a celebration of her life, not a mourning of her passing."] I want to be that peaceful and composed when I lose someone. I want to be able to let go of my own (admitted selfish) feelings of loss and focus on the good things that happened in my loved ones' lives. And I want my loved ones to be able to do the same for me. I want that post-funeral reception to be all my friends and family, a huge cheese tray, umpteen bottles of pinot noir and a soundtrack full of 80s hits. No whispers of how nice the service was, or what lovely floral arrangements were on hand at the funeral home. I don't party enough in life, I should at least get a kick-ass party when I die.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcia Peterson said...

Sincere sympathies to your coworker on the loss of his mom. Interesting post...

4/28/2005 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


follow MamaKaren at http://twitter.com

Who's Who

    Hubby- aka DH My husband since 1995. He is the head of the band department at a college prep school, and dabbles as a wanna-be pop star.

    The Princess- aka DD. Third grader at the local parochial school. Loves butterlies, sparkly things, the color purple and has recently developed a crush on one of the twins from "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody". Is ready for her teenage years, having already perfected her exasperated sigh and dramatic eye-roll.

    Hoss- aka DS1. Kindergartener and resident spirited child. His aunt likes to call him "the evil genius" because of his penchant for letting a lack of intellectual stimulation lead him into mischief. Likes trucks, sports, building things and burping. His current favorite word is "underwear."

    Lil Joe- aka DS2. Born in 2003. Doesn't say much we can understand, but has mastered the important stuff ("eat!", "Wash hands!", "Want chocolate ones!", "Hockey game!") Likes to push buttons, much to the consternation of whoever is trying to watch a DVD. Firmly refuses to use the potty, despite evidence that he is physically ready to be out of diapers, indicating a level of stubborn that eclipses even that of his parents and siblings.

    Me? I'm the Mama. That's all you need to know.

    Wanna contact me?
    Send me an email.