4/01/2005

Radio daze

I have six buttons on my car radio. Because I am a mad station switcher with varied tastes, the buttons tend to get a workout. The are (in ascending order up the dial) a classic rock station, a country station, an oldies station, a hard rock station, a modern rock station and an adult contemporary/mix station. The mix station has been around for as long as I can remember. It was the top 40 station when I was a kid, then morphed into adult contemporary as the music on the top 40 changed, but their playlist didn't. Their tagline when I was in college was "The best mix of the 70's, 80's and today!" As we left the 90's, the tagline changed to "The best mix of the 80's, 90's and today!" I turned the station on a week or so ago, and the tagline is now "The best mix of...everything!" Everything? So, I'll going to hear Artie Shaw followed by Incubus? Percy Sledge, Sister Sledge, Twisted Sister? So I decided to listen to the station for the entire ride home last night, not switching away when a commercial came on, just to see what they mean by "everything." The playlist for my drive: How You Remind Me, Nickelback And She Was, Talking Heads Everywhere, Michelle Branch Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos My Own Worst Enemy, Let Brass in Pocket, The Pretenders In a Little While, Uncle Kracker Clocks, Coldplay Hip to be Square, Huey Lewis and the News And We Danced, The Hooters Lady, Lenny Kravitz Who Loves You (I think that's the title- it's the song with the "Who loves you, pretty baby/Who's gonna help you through the night/Who loves you, pretty mama/Who's always there to make it right"), Frankie Valli Superman, REM I Know, Dionne Farris Jump, Van Halen Here is Gone, Goo Goo Dolls Higher Love, Steve Winwood Rock This Town, Stray Cats Well. It's a mix, alright. So I started to ponder: who is the target demographic here? Do our Frankie Valli fans also like Coldplay? Is Nickelback opening on Brian Setzer's next tour? Then I realized that I was able to sing along with every song. I didn't know all the words to all of the songs, but I spent most of the ride singing along with what I was hearing. So basically, I'm their target audience. That station is going down in flames in no time, because I'm a heck of a small niche.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Victor are the target audience. I wish I could find a station to cater to me!

There were only six bands/singers there that I don't know, and the Hooters really should stay buried in an 80's time vault.

4/01/2005 5:03 PM  
Blogger Kalisa said...

ummm...you weren't writing this down while you were DRIVING were you???

4/06/2005 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


follow MamaKaren at http://twitter.com

Who's Who

    Hubby- aka DH My husband since 1995. He is the head of the band department at a college prep school, and dabbles as a wanna-be pop star.

    The Princess- aka DD. Third grader at the local parochial school. Loves butterlies, sparkly things, the color purple and has recently developed a crush on one of the twins from "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody". Is ready for her teenage years, having already perfected her exasperated sigh and dramatic eye-roll.

    Hoss- aka DS1. Kindergartener and resident spirited child. His aunt likes to call him "the evil genius" because of his penchant for letting a lack of intellectual stimulation lead him into mischief. Likes trucks, sports, building things and burping. His current favorite word is "underwear."

    Lil Joe- aka DS2. Born in 2003. Doesn't say much we can understand, but has mastered the important stuff ("eat!", "Wash hands!", "Want chocolate ones!", "Hockey game!") Likes to push buttons, much to the consternation of whoever is trying to watch a DVD. Firmly refuses to use the potty, despite evidence that he is physically ready to be out of diapers, indicating a level of stubborn that eclipses even that of his parents and siblings.

    Me? I'm the Mama. That's all you need to know.

    Wanna contact me?
    Send me an email.