9/02/2004

Birthday musings

I just had a birthday over the weekend. The number isn't important, it's not a landmark birthday and I'm at that point where a highschool kid thinks I'm ancient, but I'd be laughed at for calling myself old. I'm feeling kind of weird about the time passing, though, because I'm not sure where I should be at this point. I've got a college degree that I don't use, and my current job doesn't require a degree. Most of my peers (careerwise) are 20+ years older than I am, but my peers (age and educationwise) have much higher level careers than I do. (That comes from the failed teaching career- nothing like starting over in your mid-twenties.) A lot of people are surprised to hear that I have three children ("You look too young to have three kids!") What does that mean?! Too young to have three children? If I had only had my daughter, she'd still be six years old right now, would I be too young to have one child? That makes no sense to me. There's a new song out called 1985 from a band called Bowling for Soup. The chorus is sort of a musical flashback ("Bruce Springsteen, Madonna/Way before Nirvana/There was U2 and Blondie/Music still on MTV/Her two kids in highschool/Tell her that she's uncool/She's still preoccupied with 19-19-1985") I wouldn't go back to 1985 for anything- I I had glasses and a retainer, I couldn't attract any boy's attention, I felt dumb because I was getting the teacher who liked to remind me how smart my sister was (she is, but so am I, and her intelligence is not indicative of mine), I got teased for being flat chested and I cried at the drop of a hat (some things never change.) But if you'd have told me in 1985 that I would be driving a minivan, working as a secretary (an executive one, but a secretary nonetheless), and that I would consider 11:00pm bedtime and 6:00 wake-ups as "late," I'd have chosen to stay frozen in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


follow MamaKaren at http://twitter.com

Who's Who

    Hubby- aka DH My husband since 1995. He is the head of the band department at a college prep school, and dabbles as a wanna-be pop star.

    The Princess- aka DD. Third grader at the local parochial school. Loves butterlies, sparkly things, the color purple and has recently developed a crush on one of the twins from "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody". Is ready for her teenage years, having already perfected her exasperated sigh and dramatic eye-roll.

    Hoss- aka DS1. Kindergartener and resident spirited child. His aunt likes to call him "the evil genius" because of his penchant for letting a lack of intellectual stimulation lead him into mischief. Likes trucks, sports, building things and burping. His current favorite word is "underwear."

    Lil Joe- aka DS2. Born in 2003. Doesn't say much we can understand, but has mastered the important stuff ("eat!", "Wash hands!", "Want chocolate ones!", "Hockey game!") Likes to push buttons, much to the consternation of whoever is trying to watch a DVD. Firmly refuses to use the potty, despite evidence that he is physically ready to be out of diapers, indicating a level of stubborn that eclipses even that of his parents and siblings.

    Me? I'm the Mama. That's all you need to know.

    Wanna contact me?
    Send me an email.