11/08/2005

I've been overtaken

Harry Potter has sucked me in. I know I'm not the only one by a long shot, and I'm behind the curve, but I am all in now. No turning back. I was sort of mildly amused by Zoot's countdown to the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but now that I've read the first five books, I can just about understand it. Kalish is in the same boat. Buy them for the kids, read them to be up to date for the movie release, and it was all over. I've been reading to DD and DS1, a chapter per night, but realized that I didn't have the patience to space the stories out that long. I figured I could just finish each book on my own pace as I read it to the kids, so I was on the same story as they were. That lasted for the first book. Then when I finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, I didn't want to wait until I had finished reading it to them, I just had to jump ahead. I had only gotten a few chapters in, for gosh sakes, I didn't want to wait weeks to start book 3! So I read the next one. And I couldn't stop. I think it was last Wednesday, maybe Thursday, when I opened book 4. On Friday night, I kept saying I would go to bed as soon as I finished the next chapter. Then I read one more. And one more. At 1:00 a.m., I stopped. The fifth book is huge. I finished it in two days. I need help.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, you need Half-Blood Prince so that I can stop worrying about accidentally letting a spoiler slip.

11/08/2005 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're ahead of me. I bought book 4 when it came out and meant to read it at the beach last year but never got 'round to it. We've since then misplaced it, so I' have to buy a new copy for the plane trip next week.

I'm amazed I have no idea what happened in it.

11/10/2005 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


follow MamaKaren at http://twitter.com

Who's Who

    Hubby- aka DH My husband since 1995. He is the head of the band department at a college prep school, and dabbles as a wanna-be pop star.

    The Princess- aka DD. Third grader at the local parochial school. Loves butterlies, sparkly things, the color purple and has recently developed a crush on one of the twins from "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody". Is ready for her teenage years, having already perfected her exasperated sigh and dramatic eye-roll.

    Hoss- aka DS1. Kindergartener and resident spirited child. His aunt likes to call him "the evil genius" because of his penchant for letting a lack of intellectual stimulation lead him into mischief. Likes trucks, sports, building things and burping. His current favorite word is "underwear."

    Lil Joe- aka DS2. Born in 2003. Doesn't say much we can understand, but has mastered the important stuff ("eat!", "Wash hands!", "Want chocolate ones!", "Hockey game!") Likes to push buttons, much to the consternation of whoever is trying to watch a DVD. Firmly refuses to use the potty, despite evidence that he is physically ready to be out of diapers, indicating a level of stubborn that eclipses even that of his parents and siblings.

    Me? I'm the Mama. That's all you need to know.

    Wanna contact me?
    Send me an email.