7/25/2005

Perhaps my face should be in hiding

It was bad enough when DH looked at me with grave concern and asked "What is that on your cheek?! Oh, it's a pimple." Yes, it's a pimple. Not one of those small ones that are easy to conceal, but one of those gigantic red ones that, even if you manage to get it to be skin toned, is still so large that it casts a shadow. But I got approached at the grocery yesterday, as I'm trying to find the right laundry detergent, by a lady with artfully applied "natural" makeup. "Excuse me," she said, "but has anyone ever offered you a business card for Mary Kay?" I could feel her staring at the zit that ate Baltimore. "I've used Mary Kay before, but had some sensitivity issues with it," I replied. "Oh. Well, what are you using now?" she asked. Why does she care?! I've already said I'm not going to use her product! Let me search from my dye-free, fragrance free, stain fighting liquid! "Uh, Bare Escentuals," I replied, waiting for the rebuttal about why Mary Kay is better. (The fact is, BE is really good for sensitive skin, and I don't get the monster breakouts nearly as often as I used to before I switched to BE. But enough of the Leslie Blodget fan club speech...) "OK!" she chirped, "Glad to hear that you've found something that you feel works for you!" Something I feel works for me? Is she implying that her makeup would have prevented that growth next to my lip? Truth be told, I didn't have that gigantic, bulbous pimple action when I used Mary Kay, I had flat red blotches scattered over my whole face instead. This is not a bashing of Mary Kay products. They work wonderfully for some people. Just not me. My skin is just very, very picky. I've had at least two different "sensitive skin" formula foundations give me peeling, red facial skin. So, a BB sized zit once or twice a year seems like a decent trade off. But I'm very, very self conscious of my face during those occasional break outs. So here's my plan- if I take some of my "You Can Never Be Too Rich" Brown eye-shadow and apply it carefully to the zit, maybe I can play it off as a Ciny Crawford style mole.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

I love Bare Escentuals. I only use the face make-up, though. I haven't tried anything else.

7/28/2005 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


follow MamaKaren at http://twitter.com

Who's Who

    Hubby- aka DH My husband since 1995. He is the head of the band department at a college prep school, and dabbles as a wanna-be pop star.

    The Princess- aka DD. Third grader at the local parochial school. Loves butterlies, sparkly things, the color purple and has recently developed a crush on one of the twins from "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody". Is ready for her teenage years, having already perfected her exasperated sigh and dramatic eye-roll.

    Hoss- aka DS1. Kindergartener and resident spirited child. His aunt likes to call him "the evil genius" because of his penchant for letting a lack of intellectual stimulation lead him into mischief. Likes trucks, sports, building things and burping. His current favorite word is "underwear."

    Lil Joe- aka DS2. Born in 2003. Doesn't say much we can understand, but has mastered the important stuff ("eat!", "Wash hands!", "Want chocolate ones!", "Hockey game!") Likes to push buttons, much to the consternation of whoever is trying to watch a DVD. Firmly refuses to use the potty, despite evidence that he is physically ready to be out of diapers, indicating a level of stubborn that eclipses even that of his parents and siblings.

    Me? I'm the Mama. That's all you need to know.

    Wanna contact me?
    Send me an email.