8/13/2006

Post operative post

Twenty-two years, 24 days ago a nineteen year old guy did something that none of us should ever be in a position to have to do. His fifteen year old brother, pale and wan and weighing all of 55 pounds, had been on dialysis for months after the removal of his diseased kidneys. The kidney he donated lasted a good long time, considering how many diseases ravaged my brother-in-law's body because the anti-rejection drugs made his immune system incapable of fighting them off. He lost in finger in 1994 to a strain of TB that probably would have shown almost no symptoms in the rest of us. But this post isn't about either of my brothers-in-law. Six days, twelve hours ago, my husband was being wheeled into surgery to begin the process of rerouting everything connected to his left kidney so it could be taken out. The surgery went as it should, and the kidney started working right away when it found its new home next to the one that been transplanted all those years ago. Hubby and BIL have both come home from the hospital and are on their way to recovery. But this post isn't really about my husband, either. It makes me sad when children have to learn about hospitals and intensive care units and major surgery before their ages reach double digits. I saw more crib-gurneys pass through the hallways outside of the GOR waiting room last Monday than I ever want to see. I saw children with IV poles next to their strollers. And it made me so very thankful that everything that has hit my children has been controlled with ibuprofen, cold compresses, and an occasional nebulizer treatment. But the thing that choked me up the most about the pediatric view of the past week was seeing Hoss, run to his father but stop short. "Can I hug you, Daddy?" he asked. "A hug around the neck would be great," Hubby replied. So Hoss advanced, and threw his arms around his dad, and said, in that serious voice he sometimes gets, "I promise I'll be gentle. You've got some BIG boo-boos." And then he sat on the floor next to his father's chair and listened attentively as his father answered every question he could come up with about the organs pictured on Daddy's t-shirt, and what they did, and where they were located in his body. "And now Uncle B has your extra kidney, right?" Hoss asked, "And you made him all better? That was nice of you. You're a good daddy." All I can say is that he's a good Hoss.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

What a beautiful story! Made me cry. You're son is definitely Pass-the-Torch Worthy. Thank you for joining us!

8/13/2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

That is a touching real-life drama. You must be so proud of everyone involved. Did you ever stop, though, to consider the emotional wear and tear on you? I'm sure you were worried too. I hope everything works out well for all concerned.

To Love, Honor and Dismay

8/13/2006 10:25 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

I see you got the code - that's great! Could you include it at the top of your post, though? Otherwise, no one knows your participating.

Also, you should visit my post today and add your permalink in the Mr. Linky box.

Thanks again!

8/15/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

I agree with waya. Your son must have learned to treat others with such care and concern by watching you and your husband.

Keep up the good work. And hang in there while your husband recuperates.

8/15/2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

I've decided to give all participants the Pass the Torch Award this week. I'm finding it very difficult to choose a winner because the stories are so excellent!

So email me at ptt(at)empowering-youth(dot)com and I'll email you the code for your award banner.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have so much to be proud of!

8/16/2006 10:47 PM  
Blogger Just D said...

wow... very touching. An incredible moment for you to observe!

9/01/2006 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


follow MamaKaren at http://twitter.com

Who's Who

    Hubby- aka DH My husband since 1995. He is the head of the band department at a college prep school, and dabbles as a wanna-be pop star.

    The Princess- aka DD. Third grader at the local parochial school. Loves butterlies, sparkly things, the color purple and has recently developed a crush on one of the twins from "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody". Is ready for her teenage years, having already perfected her exasperated sigh and dramatic eye-roll.

    Hoss- aka DS1. Kindergartener and resident spirited child. His aunt likes to call him "the evil genius" because of his penchant for letting a lack of intellectual stimulation lead him into mischief. Likes trucks, sports, building things and burping. His current favorite word is "underwear."

    Lil Joe- aka DS2. Born in 2003. Doesn't say much we can understand, but has mastered the important stuff ("eat!", "Wash hands!", "Want chocolate ones!", "Hockey game!") Likes to push buttons, much to the consternation of whoever is trying to watch a DVD. Firmly refuses to use the potty, despite evidence that he is physically ready to be out of diapers, indicating a level of stubborn that eclipses even that of his parents and siblings.

    Me? I'm the Mama. That's all you need to know.

    Wanna contact me?
    Send me an email.